History of the Falkland Arms at Great Tew
The Falkland Arms was bought by Wadworth Brewery of Devizes, in 1995. The current managers, Paul and S-J arrived in 2000. They have strengthened the pub’s reputation for excellence and have maintained their commitment to running a traditional local pub, which lies at the heart of the local community.
Until the middle of the nineteenth century, the Pub was called the Horse & Groom. It’s name was changed in honour of Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland, whose family owned the Great Tew Estate in Elizabethan times. Interestingly, it was the 6th Lord Falkland who gave his name to the Falkland Islands, when they were first landed by the British Navy in 1690.
Popular rumour used to say that Lord Falkland’s ghost roamed the pub and a gallon of ale was offered to anyone prepared to spend the night there. Sadly for current guests, the offer has been withdrawn – and no one has reported seeing any ghosts in our beautiful old building!
The Great Tew Estate sold the pub in 1979. The Falkland Arms was refurbished (and indoor toilets installed!) and then run as a free house until it was purchased by Wadworths.